August 9, 2011

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies


Hey there, folks! Back from the edge of nowhere, me. Things have been hectic lately with family visiting, so I haven't been able to update this blog in what seems like forever.

The important thing is: these brownies. You must make them pronto! They were surprisingly moist and decadently fudgy, and you definitely can't taste the zucchini at all. I made a chocolate zucchini cake last summer and overbaked it a bit, so it was dry and less than impressive. I'm happy to say I've redeemed myself with this one. They were so good I ended up making a second batch a couple of days after the first one.

That one I kept all to myself.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies
from food + words

2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter, cooled (or equivalent amount of applesauce or oil)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour (recipe calls for whole wheat pastry, I used all purpose)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 cups shredded zucchini (grate using smallest holes on box grater)
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8" x 8" square pan or 8" cake pan with parchment paper so that it drapes over the sides, then grease the paper.

Whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, butter/applesauce and salt until combined. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and spices and mix just until the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Fold in the grated zucchini and add the chocolate chips.

Pour batter into pan, rap pan on counter to release any air bubbles, then bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments: