February 22, 2011

Fennel, Feta, Blood Orange Salad


I'm a bit ashamed that I've sadly neglected this blog for almost a year! I hope to redeem myself this year: I recently bought several cookbooks to inject some inspiration in the kitchen. Here's one of the dishes I made based on a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's Ottolenghi.

The original recipe calls for pomegranate seeds, but pomegranate season seems to have passed me by. I substituted blood oranges since they work so well with fennel. And there we go.

I'll give you guys the original recipe since I used it more as a guideline and I haven't a clue how much of each ingredient I actually used. Adjust to taste!

Fennel and feta with pomegranate seeds and sumac
from Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's Ottolenghi
1-1/2 T olive oil
2 t sumac, plus extra to garnish
juice of 1 lemon
4 T tarragon leaves
2 T parsley, roughly chopped
salt and black pepper
2 fennel heads, thinly sliced
seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
70 g Greek feta cheese, sliced

Mix the olive oil, sumac, lemon juice, tarragon, parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Toss in the fennel and taste for seasoning. Sprinkle the feta and pomegranate seeds over the fennel, and add more sumac if you'd like.

No comments: